Thursday, February 16, 2017

CAST RECORDINGS OF 2016: A PERSONAL LOOK

In 2016, between cast recordings and movie/television musicals soundtracks, I counted 80 releases. I didn’t listen to all of those, but I only missed a few (ex. BUMBLESCRATCH).

Before crucifying me for my choices, let me confess that I love the traditional Broadway sound and I have strong difficulties to enjoy other music styles. So, everything that sounds like rock (ex. LAZARUS), country (ex. BRIGHT STAR) or folk (ex. TUCK EVERLASTING) hardly have a chance to catch my narrow-minded ears. In order to get an idea, take a look at my 20 FAVORITE SCORES of all time.

Without further delays, here are my choices. First, and for first time ever, the “Jorge’s Place Awards” and then my “Top Twelve” recordings of 2016 (in preference order).


JORGE'S PLACE AWARDS 2016







TOP 12 RECORDINGS OF 2016





If you like this, take a look at my choices of 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.

2 comments:

  1. curious about The Landing, why do you note as "best deception"?

    your site is lots of fun and absolutely glorious for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind words regarding it.

      As for THE LANDING... well, John Kander is one of my favorite composers and I love his work. So I had high expectations for his new score with a new partner, but I really didn't like it.

      Delete