Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I’M GETTING MY ACT TOGETHER AND TAKING IT ON THE ROAD: A CD Review

Original Cast Recording – 1978 / Music by Nancy Ford and Lyrics by Gretchen Cyrer
Starring: Gretchen Cryer, Margot Rose, Betty Aberlin, Don Scardino
Rate: 3 (from 1 to 10)

Review: This show opened Off-Broadway in 1978 and, although, it had a difficult start, it became a hit. I don’t know why, but I always thought this was a hard rock score, but it isn’t. In fact, this is a very quiet pop score, that it’s very dated in its 70s pop style songs and orchestrations.

One of its creators, Gretchen Cryer plays the lead role and sings her songs with feeling and conviction, with nice vocal support by Margot Rose and Betty Aberlin. The problem is I have a difficult time connecting with this kind of songs. I love traditional Broadway musicals and this isn’t that kind of score. I’m not the right person to say if these songs are good or bad, they sound a little depressing to me.


I know there’s an audience for this kind of musicals and the songs don’t hurt my ears. For me the best one is “Smile”, “Strong Woman Number” is interesting and “Dear Tom” has a nice melody. I’m curious how it will sound with less dated orchestrations. But I guess this is a true son of the 70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment