Sunday, August 24, 2014

LADY DAY AT EMERSON’S BAR & GRILL: A CD Review

I knew Audra McDonald was a great singing actress, but I never dreamed she could sing so uncannily like Billie Holiday. It’s like the true Audra and her operatic voice has just disappeared into to thin air and in her place we have the one and only Billie!

That’s the first thing that hit me when I listened to this recording for the first time. The second one was there was too much talking for my taste. But soon I dismissed this one. After playing it one more time I realized that the talking and the singing are a match made in heaven and they truly make sense together.

The songs are golden oldie and Audra sings them amazingly well, but her acting sounds even better. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen the show, but Audra’s talents emerge and shine from all the tracks and it’s impossible not to surrender to this two great ladies! 

Rate: 8 (from 1 to 10)
Photos by Evgenia Eliseeva


No comments:

Post a Comment