Sunday, November 19, 2017

CHARLOTTE’S WEB: A Soundtrack Review

Original Movie Soundtrack – 1973 / Music and lyrics by Richard M. Sherman & Robert B. Sherman
Starring: Debbie Reynolds, Henry Gibson, Pamelyn Ferdin, Dave Madden, Agnes Moorehead, Paul Lynde
Rate: 6 (from 1 to 10)

Review: I think I was a kid of 11 years old when I saw this movie for the first time on a television matinee. I enjoyed it immensely and I remember humming the songs. At the time, I didn’t have a clue who the Sherman Brothers were.

Since that day, I tried to get the movie soundtrack but without luck (living in Portugal made it practically impossible). So, what I did was recording the songs on a tape when the movie was shown again on television. But the days of tape are long gone and so was my recording of the soundtrack. Now, this soundtrack was re-released in vinyl, “for the first time in almost 40 years”, and finally I can enjoy the songs once again; although it had been a long time since I heard them for last time, I’m still able to hum some of them.

This isn’t the best work of the Sherman Brothers, but it’s difficult to resist the charms of the one and only Debbie Reynolds (she gives voice do Charlotte) as she sweetly delivers “Chin Up”, “Deep in the Dark” and “Mother Earth and Father Time”. Henry Gibson make us believe a pig can sing with “I Can Talk” and Agnes Moorhead and Paul Lynde has a fun time with “A Veritable Smorgasbord”.

If you like melodious scores and are a fan of the work of The Sherman Brothers (MARY POPPINS), plus a Debbie Reynolds admirer, this one is for you. Personally, I enjoyed it and it was great to go back in time.


No comments:

Post a Comment