Sunday, August 5, 2012

CD OF THE WEEK: FLOWER DRUM SONG


I’ve to confess that I never cared much for this 1958 Rodgers & Hammerstein musical. It’s true, it had a few great songs like “I Enjoy Being a Girl” and “Love, Look Away”, but on the whole it didn’t sound very interesting.

Surprise! This Broadway revival cast recording brings new life to the score and thanks to new orchestrations by Don Sebesky and an appealing cast I really enjoyed it for the first time on my life. Purists may discharged it as a crime, but when a new recording help us to rediscover an old score, that’s hardly a crime. Like me you may not like the modern beat at the middle of “Fan Tan Fannie”, but it made me smile and the new “I Enjoy Being a Girl” number sounds like a great piece of musical entertainment.

With a fabulous CD package this is a must have on any musical fan CD library.


No comments:

Post a Comment